* Marketing is a range of activities that makes sure consumers get the products they want in the right amounts at the right place at the right time.
* Marketing lets consumers know what goods and services are available so they can make choices.
Why am I going to do marketing?
* I will be doing marketing to inform the public of their products. Especially because I have just started my business.
* I am a new business so I will need to marketing to get sales because without customers I gin no profit.
* To increase my market share because I am a new business so I have no market share.
The marketing mix
* All the activities that can be used by a business to market their products.
* These can be grouped together as the 4 P’s
The 4 P’s
* The products I will be selling are pharmaceutical products, hair products (hair bands, clips, etc…), shampoos, hair gels, etc…
* Basically I will be selling all products that pharmacies sell.
* My shop will have special promotions on some products which will increase sales.
* My business will be in a shop on Leyton High Road, E10.
* It is a small shop with an average sized storage area + the shop floor.
* Good things about my shop’s area are that: my shop is very close to lots of busses and the local tube station, and it is quite close to Leyton Mills Retail Park which has lots of large braded shops.
* My pharmacy will be selling their products at good value for money which will bring us a reasonable profit (e.g. we will buy bulk hair dye for ï¿½20 – ï¿½5 each and we will sell it for like ï¿½6.50).
* My prices may go up or down depending on the prices for competition
* My prices may penetrate based on the amount of customers I get.
* My company may also use skinning.
* Special promotions will make my companies products sell quicker. (e.g. B.O.G.O.F)
* Some prescribed products will be free to some NHS customers.
* Promotions are the methods used to sell a product.
* I will be advertising to give info and to persuade people to come to by pharmacy as it is a new business.
* I will advertise using flyers, and leaflets (this is the main promotion method for my business)
* Good public relations will help my business become more popular with the public which will increase sales.
* I may try and get a sponsor from NHS which will help my business get more money and to do more things.
* If I do get a sponsor I will obviously put sponsored by NHS badge on my companies promotions.
* If I ever get enough money to do television advertisements I may use celebrity endorsement.
* For frequent customers I will give them loyalty cards which will give my customers discounts and special offers.
* I may give free samples of things like hand cream, little sachets of hair gel or shampoo.
* Some items will be needed to sell at a loss if it is not being sold (this would be a last resort).
* For items which I bought for a discount I will sell with special offers (e.g. buy one get one free)
The main way of promotion which I am going to use is advertising. I have now picked the type of adverts that I am going to use. I am going to produce flyers, a yellow pages ad and my own website.
I will now analyse these 3 types of advertising. Analysing these will hep me make my own advertisements.
I am now going to analyse the Lloyds pharmacy website. I will be analysing the home page, the contact us page, and the branch finder page.eGood Points:
* The homepage has hyperlinks so people can go to other places on the site.
* The homepage shows some offers which will attract customers to buy things from them.
* The site has lots of nice, catchy colours.
* There are loads on the homepage.
* There is an online shop set up.
* It’s too crowded on to one page.
* Maybe they could put a store locator on their home page.
* They could give more info about their shop.
* Easier to email them rather than emailing with your own provider.
* Easy to navigate from and to this page.
* Better than giving email address as it decreases the amount of spam received to the company.
* Good because you can send them comments from the page or get help with different topics.
* Person may not want to give there name, title or surname.
* No address, telephone number or fax number of head office on the page.
* Some wasted space on the page.
* This page helps easily find a branch of the shop.
* It gives you all the contact info of the branch.
* The map makes it much easier to find the branch.
* There are links to opening times which will help.
* There are lots of links.
* Maybe they could put a more detailed map.
* Repeats the word Lloyd’s pharmacy on every address when we already know it is Lloyd’s pharmacy.
Conclusion: All these pages have good points and bad points and after analysing it I have come up with the conclusion that a good must have – An eye catching layout, clear and user friendly, links and menus must be clear and easy to read, it must contain info on how to find my business, contact info, and what are you offering and selling.
These are the rules I will follow for designing my website.
I am going to analyse a pharmacy week celebration flyer.
* There is a good matching colour scheme.
* It shows persuasive offers.
* Gives lots of information.
* Appropriate use of space.
* Most text is bold and uppercase.
* Picture doesn’t really look appropriate to a pharmacy.
* Have lots of logos with no info about them.
* Maybe they could use more space on the page.
Now that I have analysed good things and bad things about flyers, I will now have to apply it to my business. I need to make sure my flyer includes: appropriate images, it must be persuasive, gives lots of info, use space appropriately, text should be bold and readable, and should have a good colour scheme.
Analysing Yellow Pages Ads
I am now going to analyse 3 yellow pages ad’s of a pharmacy.
* Text is bold and font and font size are appropriate.
* Ad includes a logo that shows the identity of the pharmacy.
* Ad’s gives lots of information. This will be useful to know if customers want to visit the pharmacy (e.g. opening times, address, telephone numbers, etc…).
* Ad says the word ‘free’ which persuades customers to go there.
* Ad is in black and white which makes it less eye-catching.
* The font for the line ‘DIGITAL PRINTS IN SECONDS’ isn’t easy to read.
* Maybe they could put more information on to the ad in the blank spaces.
* Includes their text logo which shows their identity.
* Gives contact info on both braches of the pharmacy.
* Bold text and good font choice.
* The colour green makes it easier to identity the business (as green is the colour they use for their promotions and logos.
* Doesn’t give detailed information on what they sell.
* Maybe could use more colour.
* Maybe they could use offers on ads to persuade customers to buy from their.
* Good use of matching colours.
* Gives basic useful info.
* Appropriate image.
* Good font, font size and layout.
* Could use offers on ad to persuade customers.
* Could give more details on their items and products.
* Picture takes a lot of space.
Conclusion: Now that I have analysed good points and bad points of yellow pages ads, I will now have to apply this information to my yellow page ad (if I decide to make one). This includes making sure that the ad is persuasive, has good colour scheme, appropriate images, bold eye-catching text and useful information and details.
My Flyer and Analysis
My Website and Analysis
Home Page Analysis
Contact Us Page Analysis
Product List Page Analysis
Contact Us Page
Product List Page
My Yellow Pages Ad and Analysis
Yellow Page Ad
The total for my yellow page ad is ï¿½1,250. This is because I will be putting a quarter page colour ad in the pharmacies section of the directory for the 2008/9 Yellow Pages. This should bring attention to people which will boost the amount of customers I have.
I will print 10,000 copies of my flyer in colour. The total cost of this will be ï¿½2,000. I will employ someone to post approximately 1000 flyers to local houses in Leyton and the rest I would post to houses in Stratford and Walthamstow. This should also boost the amount of sales I get.
I have made my website myself which means I will not pay anything for design. I will pay ï¿½250 for permanent webhosting with 10GB of storage and 100GB of traffic per month. This is good because it means that lots of people can look at my website without receiving an error that can be unfixed. I will also pay ï¿½150 for a permanent domain with 10 e-mail address. My domain will be www.leytonhpharmacy.com and my primary email address is [email protected] My website should easily increase the publicity of my business which will increase sales for my business.
The total I will pay for my business media advertisements and publicity is ï¿½3,650. This means that I will still have ï¿½11,350 to spend on advertising. I will spend this in the future for when I do more advertising.
Do you think your advertising will be successful?
I think my advertising will be successful because I have used persuasive techniques including eye-catching images and colours, bold easy to read text, special offers, and free samples in all of my advertisings.