Human trafficking in the global market

The following sample essay on “Human trafficking in the global market”  is a very complex and horrific system in the global market. It is such an important global issue because it is the third largest international crime industry and generates roughly 32 billion dollars a year. There are many different forms of and reasons for human trafficking, and each involves a multitude of actors. The most common forms of human trafficking are slavery, prostitution, and organ trafficking.

In each sort of human trafficking, there is always a local, a transporter, a recruiter, and a “boss” who collects funds.

In some cases, the transporter, recruiter, and leader of the operation may be the same person. Human trafficking affects everyone in the global community, whether they are aware of it or not. Millions of people each year lose their lives or family members because of human trafficking, and billions more are proponents of it without even knowing.

For example, years ago (and still today), people in Africa were being taken from their homes and forced to work in remote areas to sift for diamonds.

It wasn’t until awareness and notions to stop were made that countless of Americans and other members of the global community were made aware that in buying “Blood diamonds”, they were funding this tragic system of slavery. Human trafficking is an underground global market that has been around for as long as history can recall. The first form to be discussed is slavery.

It is estimated that there are between 20-30 millions slaves today.

Get quality help now
Marrie pro writer

Proficient in: Crime

5 (204)

“ She followed all my directions. It was really easy to contact her and respond very fast as well. ”

+84 relevant experts are online
Hire writer

Statistically, the average cost of a slave is a global equivalent of 90 US dollars. Most slaves are taken form their homes with the promise of a better life for themselves and the ability to provide a better life for their families back home. Many slaves are kept through bonded debts in which they feel they have no choice but to stay and are bonded to their “masters” through a debt they accumulated from them. The next form of human trafficking is prostitution.

Studies show that while only 20% of human trafficking involves labor exploitation, the other 80% involves sexual exploitation. Between 600-800,000 people are trafficked across international borders very years and over 70% are female. Of those females, half are children under the age of 16. The average teen enters the sex trade between the ages of 12 and 14 and most are runaways who were physically or sexually abused at some point in their lives. Lastly, organ trafficking is the most openly advertised form of human trafficking in some countries due to lack of legislature.

Because it is oftentimes “advertised” as a charitable way to collect money for yourself, traffickers are able to advertised slogans such as “Donate a kidney, buy the new Pad” in China. Recipients of these organs pay up to two hundred thousand dollars to traffickers; meanwhile the victims, or “donors,” are paid an average of five thousand dollars. In 2000, the UN General Assembly adopted certain protocols to “Prevent, Suppress, and Punish” trafficking. In 2010, the LLC formed a global plan of action to combat human trafficking.

UNDO is also active in fighting human trafficking through research and Ralston awareness. People across here in Southwest Florida who began traveling to places around the world that are leagued by tremendous amounts of human trafficking and offering whatever help they could to the victims they met along the way. In my opinion, not enough has been done to prevent human trafficking. The fact that lack of strict law enforcement and legislature makes it possible for traffickers to openly approach people and con them into the slave, sex, or organ trade is enough evidence to support this opinion.

I believe that globally, laws should be made and steps should be taken to prevent the ease of transportation and recruitment involved in human trafficking. By educating people of the dangers and tragedies involved in human trafficking, they will be less likely to fund it through buying organs, slaves, and prostitutes. Also, in educating the less fortunate in third world countries, they will be able to spot signs of human trafficking more easily, and not fall victim to it. It is far less difficult to take preventative measures than it is to solve problems that have already escalated.

Cite this page

Human trafficking in the global market. (2017, Nov 27). Retrieved from

Human trafficking in the global market
Let’s chat?  We're online 24/7