INTRODUCTION TO MARKETING (BHO1171) – Sem 2, 2012 Individual Case Study (15%) Due Date: Week 7 (29/8/2012, Wednesday 5pm) Students will be evaluated on how well they analyze the case study by applying the right theories and concepts. The case topic is “Chocolate consumers feel guilty for the wrong reasons”. At the end of the case study, there are a number of questions in which students need to find answers and justifications. Students need to write a formal business report with a length of 2000 words using 12 pt fonts and 1. 5 spacing.
The report must be handed in Week 7 (refer to the due date stated above). Please do not only focus on the article and the texts in getting the answers. Students are advised to refer to at least four (4) academic journals, with additions of materials from newspapers, magazines and Internet websites in analyzing and interpreting the case study questions. They need to acknowledge any borrowed citations or any information under reference lists by using Harvard Referencing System (Please refer to Communication Skills Handbook). Your report must be submitted to Turnitin and cleared.
The allowable percentage of match is 25%. Upon uploading, please exclude the table of content, reference and bibliography lists. Do not forget to attach together the first page of the Turnitin digital receipt on top of the hardcopy of your assignment. PLEASE DO NOT SHARE YOUR ANSWERS AND REFERENCES WITH YOUR FRIENDS. ASSIGNMENTS WITH HIGH PERCENTAGE OF MATCH (BASED ON TURNITIN REPORT) WILL BE PENALIZED! Sample of a Business Report (with word limits as an approximate guide for each section) Declaration Form” Cover Page (can be downloaded from ELearn) Turnitin digital receipt (first page)
• Report Title: Individual Case Study – “Chocolate consumers feel guilty for the wrong reasons”
• Prepared for: Name of Lecturer & Tutor Victoria University
• Prepared/Written by:Student Name VU ID No.
• Date of Submission:
• Tutorial Group: Executive Summary
• Inclusive of the:Introduction of the report Content of the report Conclusion and recommendations of the report
• Should be written only after analysis is completed.
• Do not repeat by using the same sentences and words as the ones used in the report.
• Must spell out and explain the summary instead of just “out-lining” it. Should not be exceeding one page length and paragraphing is encouraged.
• Guide – Approximate word count = 300 – 400 Table of Contents
• Titles and subtitles
• Page numbers
• Appendices (if attached)
• Must be typed and not handwritten 1. 0 Introduction (Must include these four main components)
• Purpose of writing the report
• Short summary of the case study
• Relevant marketing theory definition and explanation (Briefly)
• Guide – Approximate word count =300 – 400 (Make use of paragraphs) 2. 0 Problems/issues Identification 3. 0 Analysis
• No Assumptions and No own opinions!
Only proven facts will be accepted. Every statement made must be referenced and listed under bibliography page and reference list.
• Do not use “I”, “We” when writing reports. Do not personalize the report but instead use third party language.
• Guide – Approximate word count =500 – 600 4. 0 Recommendations/Choices of solutions
• List the courses of action, which, the writer, think, is the most appropriate to the firm
• Be specific and not general in giving suggestions.
• Must be related to the facts mentioned in the case study article.
• Guide – Approximate word count =400 . 0 Conclusion
• Brief presentation of the major findings that have been discovered within the content of the report. (Do not repeat the things you have mentioned in the content because a summary IS NOT a conclusion! )
• Guide – Approximate word count =200 List of References
• The reference list at the end of the report should be alphabetically ordered.
• You are required to refer to at least 4 academic journal articles and also to some numbers of texts, magazine/newspaper articles and websites. (Please refer to the Communication Skills Handbook on how to write referencing)
IMPORTANT NOTE! YOU CAN ONLY USE THE ACADEMIC JOURNALS, WHICH CAN BE OBTAINED FROM DATABASES LIKE EBSCOHOST, EMERALD AND ETC. PLEASE REFER TO THE REFERENCE LIBRARIAN FOR FURTHER DETAILS. YOU CANNOT SEARCH FOR THESE MATERIALS USING WIKIPEDIA, GOOGLE OR YAHOO SEARCH. Appendices (optional)
• Should be kept at minimum
• If it is so detailed and long, put it into the content of report
• Give each appendix a number and a title and enter it into the Table of Contents
• Do not put in any of the journal articles that you have used for your report Note: 1.
Students are to write using formal, business-like tone for this report. This means there should be no usage of “I”, “We”, and “You” in this report. 2. They are also encouraged to write clear and concise expression of English language. 3. There should be a logical flow of sequence. 4. The report should also be free from excessive spelling and grammatical errors. Hence, before submission, proofreading must be done. 5. Please also write the word count at the end of the report (after the conclusion section). INTRODUCTION TO MARKETING (BHO 1171) Individual Case Study (15%) Marking Sheet Semester 2, 2012 CRITERION |Very Good |Good |Satisfactory (met min. |Inadequate |Not addressed / Weak |Mark | | | | |requirements) | | | | |Introduction and |The issue/problem chosen is |The issue/problem chosen is |The issue/problem chosen is |The issue/problem chosen has |The ssue/problem is not |/2 | |problem/issue identification |appropriate and is clearly stated in|appropriate with elaboration |appropriate |limited relevance |identified | | |(2%) |the assignment with justification | | | | | | |Problem analysis and | |Can analyse a range of |Can evaluate the reliability of |Can analyse a limited range of |Fails to analyse information. /5 | |justification (5%) |Can critically review evidence and |information, select appropriate|information using defined |information. Limited & only |Fails to evaluate or use | | | |analyse situations using a wide |techniques of evaluation. |techniques. Has given a factual |partially accurate evaluation of |techniques of evaluation, or | | | |range of techniques appropriate to |Appropriate issue/problem is |&/or conceptual knowledge base |information using defined |evaluations are totally invalid | | | |the topic.
Thorough explanation of |explained and analysed | |techniques | | | | |the chosen issue/problem and is well| | | | | | | |analysed | | | | | | |Formulation of alternatives |Recommendations with reliability, |Clearly explained |Relevant recommendations made |Vague recommendations, limited |No recommendations or are |/3 | |or possible solutions and |validity & significance |recommendations which relate | |solutions |obscured by poor mechanics | | |recommendations (3%) | |closely to the case | | | | | | |Fluent writing style appropriate to |Language fluent. Grammar & |Language mainly fluent. Grammar &|Meaning apparent, but language |Meaning unclear &/or grammar |/2 | |English expression |document. Grammar & spelling |spelling accurate |spelling mainly accurate |not always fluent.
Grammar &/or |&/or spelling contain frequent | | |(sentence/paragraph |accurate | | |spelling contain errors |errors | | |construction, spelling, | | | | | | | |grammar and punctuation) (2%)| | | | | | | |Use of relevant references | |Demonstrates wide range of |Uses some appropriate literature |Uses only very limited |Fails to use relevant literature|/3 | |and referencing in written |Demonstrates wide range of reading |reading from a variety of |material in the assignment. |appropriate literature material |material in the assignment. | | |report (3%) |including from academic peer |credible sources. Referencing |Referencing is mainly accurate. |in the assignment. Some attempt |Referencing is absent/ | | | |reviewed journals in the appropriate|is mainly accurate | |at referencing. unsystematic | | | |area. Referencing is consistently | | | | | | | |accurate both within & at end of | | | | | | | |document | | | | | | ———————– TOTAL: /15