American Literature- Romantic Period 1820-1865
b) an extravagant fiction, invention, or story; a wild or wanton exaggeration
c) a work demanding greater latitude in feshion and material than the novel
c) consciously artistic
e) setting removed in time
f) nature (wilderness) representative of freedom
g) ardent nationalism
h) creation of american myth
i) gothic overtones
Deism- fot its devotion to nature and the frontier spirit
2) one can transcended through intuition not reason
3) one can transcend by learning form and living in hamrony with nature
4) one can transcend as an individual; thus the possibility of redempion lies within
5) ater transcending, one will want to do the right and moral thing
1) an autobiography- what do we learn about Thoreau?
What does he tell us about himself? His inner life?
2) a social criticism and satire- what does Thoreau say about the society in which he lives? Do his comments regarding social convetion hold true today?
3) an inspirational literature (self-help)- what lines from Walden inspire readers of challenge them to lead better, fuller lives?
4) a nature book- what are some specific examples of Thoreau’s observations about nature?
5) an artistic masterpiece- identify figures of speech
6) an exression of transcendentalism- what lines promote individualism or intuition?
1 of 5 sons
dad was Unitarian pastor
taught at Harvard
married Ellen & became Unitarian pastor
1st wife died, resigned, remarried (4 kids)
How is “nature” a statement of transcendental position?
takes a kind and positive view of nature
called “The Bible” of am. transcendentalism
impulses that came out of transcendentalism
2) recreate a new nature for oneself
3) speak in first person singular
criticized b/ he didn’d discipline well
helped dad make pencils for a time
met Emerson and traveled with him
Why did Thoreau go to walden pond?
to live deliberately
strongly influenced by women in life
weird home life- 1st time he felt he had a loving family
2) formalized from for short story
3) most important literary critic of his generation
4) wrote tales of psychological analysis and symbolism
5 characteristics of theory
2) employ totality of effect
3) aim @ the truth-suggests truth is subjective
4) keep i t short- read in a single uninterrupted reading
5) leave no loose ends
2) Beauty Marked by color and rhythm (Mask of the Red Death)
3) tales of logical reasoning (the purloined letter)
what is the theme of “the purloined letter”?
Prefect vs. Dupoin
thinks in one way left and right brain
doesn’t use imagination sees w/ dif. perspectives
what is the Dupoin motivated by?
What is Dupoin’s philosophy for understanding?
velvelt flies into palace- black dark bird flies into white marble palace
How is “the fall of the house of usher” house described?
How does Poe create unity in “the fall of the house of usher”?
changed “hawthorne” to “hawthorne”
college rommate- Franklin Pierce (future president)
12 year solitary period- developed writing
took Custom House job
democratic party supporter
What was unique about Hawthorn’es writing?
6 short story themes
2) hidden sin
3) unchecked scientific impulse
5) episode from colonial history
6) dual nature of humanity
went to sea as a sailor on the St Lawerence
Mardi- began as sea adventure, turned into symbolic allegory but damaged his reputation
1st literary classic of whaling
The Purloined Letter
The Fall of the House of Usher